What is gas flow calibration?
|Gas flow calibration refers to the calibration of a flow sensing device such as a flow meter or flow controller by comparing its measurement against a flow measurement reference. Typically the device, or unit under test (UUT) is pneumatically connected in series with the flow reference so that they measure the same gas flow, then the indications of the two devices are compared.||
molbloc/molbox Gas Flow System »
Where is gas flow calibration used?
molbox1+ Flow Terminal »
molbloc-L Laminar Flow Element »
molbloc-S Sonic Nozzle Flow Element »
molbox RFM Reference Flow Monitor »
GFS Primary Gravimetric Flow Standard »
Additional reference materialsFour steps to more effective gas flow calibration »
Mass flow vs volume flow in gas flow measurement »
Mass flow vs. volume flowA frequent topic of discussion and confusion surrounding gas flow measurement is that of mass flow and volume flow. Flow meters and flow units used for flow measurements are inherently used to measure and express either the amount of volume of gas, or the amount of mass (or number or moles or molecules) passing through the device. When performing a gas flow calibration it is nearly always beneficial to use a mass flow reference measurement, because the mass flow rate stays constant throughout a flow system in steady state. Since gas is compressible, the volume flow rate varies at different locations in a flow system due to changes in density caused by changing temperature and pressure. molblocs are mass flow standards, which allow reliable comparisons to other flow devices. The molbox terminal is also able to calculate and express the flow rate in terms of volume flow at another point in the system to allow testing of volume-based devices.
Primary flow standard vs. transfer standard
molbloc/molbox has been selected by laboratories to replace many piston prover and bell prover systems in mass flow calibration and rotameter calibration applications. Piston provers and bell provers are widely considered primary standards, but it is important to note that they are primary volume flow measurement devices. Most often, they use a direct volume flow measurement along with pressure and temperature measurements and gas property data to calculate a mass flow rate that is used for calibrations.
Related reference materials
Fluke Calibration is a leading manufacturer of high performance pressure and gas flow standards including calibration process software. We offer A2LA-accredited pressure and gas flow calibration services, as well as metrology training courses. Visit our products in detail using the Quick Links at right or the descriptions below.
Quick LinksGas Flow Standards »
Gas Flow Accessories »
GFS Primary Gravimetric Flow Standard »
Flow Calibration Software »
- Fluke Calibration offers molbloc/molbox gas flow calibration systems to calibrate flow meters and controllers over a very wide range of flows. The systems are fast, precise and transportable and can be fully automated using COMPASS for Flow software. molblocs, which are the heart of the measurement system, are mechanically stable, gravimetrically calibrated laminar flow and sonic nozzle elements.
- Fluke Calibration offers several gas flow calibration accessories to provide clean, stable gas flow and make the required electrical and pneumatic connections. MFC Switchbox supports MFC set and measure and can use an additional switchbox for connecting up to five MFCs simultaneously. molstics™ provide an engineered setup solution to mount molblocs, regulate pressure and connect a device to be tested.
- The GFS dynamic gravimetric mass flow calibration system allows users to maintain the accuracy and traceability of molblocs or other high precision devices using the same primary reference used by Fluke Calibration. GFS is a true mass flow reference suitable for use in premier measurement institutes who require the lowest measurement uncertainty.
|Calibration software is available to automate all or part of many calibration processes, manage calibration and asset data, and perform other useful tasks as well. Fluke Calibration offers a variety of market leading software applications in each of its product disciplines.|
|(If you are considering a purchase for use outside the United States, please use the country selector at the top of this page to select the country of final destination for the product, which will take you to the appropriate information for your country.)|
|Fluke Calibration's flow calibration products are sold in the United States through our factory-direct temperature applications specialists located in Phoenix, Arizona, as well as by a team of direct sales people located around the country who sell all Fluke Calibration products.
To request a quote, please click here (quotes are usually sent within 24 hours):
To speak with a factory-direct expert or regional sales manager, please call 1.877.403.5225.
You can also email us at email@example.com.
Fluke Calibration is committed to outstanding product quality, world-class metrology, and excellent post purchase service and support. In spite of our commitment to continuous improvement, things sometimes go wrong – but when they do, we want to be there for you with an excellent response. In addition, when you need routine service work, such as an instrument recalibration, we want you to have an experience that will leave you eager to return.
For specific information about service and support in your area of the world, select your country from the selector at the top of this page, then click on the Service and Support menu.
- New Products
- Electrical Calibration
- RF Calibration
- Temperature Calibration
- ITS-90 Temperature Standards
- Digital Thermometer Readouts
- Calibration Baths
- Industrial Calibrators
- Multifunction Calibrators
- Temperature Calibration Software
- Pressure Calibration
- Piston Gauges
- Pressure Controller/Calibrators
- Manual Pressure Calibrators and Monitors
- Pressurements Deadweight Testers and Accessories
- Air Data Calibration
- Pressure Calibration Accessories
- Pressure Calibration Custom Systems
- Pressure Calibration Software
- Flow Calibration
- Calibration Software
- Data Acquisition and Test Equipment
- Process Calibration Tools
- Purchase Info
- Training and Events
- Literature and Education
- Service and Support
- Authorized Service Centers
- Calibration and Repair Services
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Product Manuals (User Guides)
- Register Products
- Safety, Service, and Product Notices
- Service Plans
- Software Downloads
- Submit online RMA
- Technical Support
- Calibration Community Site
- My MET/SUPPORT
- About Us
Busca Fluke Calibration
Where to Find Support
If you have problems finding a reseller location, or have any other questions please call our customer sales and application support line:
Telephone: +1 877 355-3225
You may have been redirected here
Please update your bookmarks